Important: This integration method is deprecated as of January 1, 2017. PayPal continues to support existing merchants using this method, but please be advised new features and enhancements will not be applied to these integrations. For new integrations, see the PayPal Express Checkout Integration Guide.
Express Checkout minimizes the number of steps customers must complete when they check out. It's designed for merchants who don't have an Internet Merchant Account for processing credit and debit card payments. With Express Checkout, your buyers can pay with PayPal or credit and debit cards.
The In-Context PayPal Express Checkout helps improve conversion rates with an easier way to pay online. The simplified design speeds buyers through payment in as few as one or two clicks — without leaving your website — for a secure and seamless check out. A consistent experience for computers, tablets, and smart phones gives customers a trusted way to pay across different devices.
Note: On Macs and PCs, the In-Context Checkout window keeps the merchant website in view while providing customers with a streamlined and tightly-integrated checkout experience.
Smart phones and tablets display an optimized full-page checkout window
You can see a demo of In-Context Checkout on the PayPal Demo.
Benefits of In-Context Checkout for merchants
- Keep buyers on your website — Buyers can now pay with PayPal without leaving your website.
- Simplified design — The new PayPal Express Checkout experience keeps buyers focused on what matters most, completing purchases quickly in 1 or 2 clicks.
- Secure, with simplified PCI compliance — With Express Checkout, you can securely accept payments without complex PCI requirements. PayPal keeps customer payment data secure for you so your PayPal Express Checkout transactions are PCI compliant.
- Consistent experience across devices — Deliver a trusted PayPal experience on PCs, tablets, or smart phones; to make mobile shopping familiar and faster, the checkout experience is optimized for the mobile screens.
Benefits of In-Context Checkout for buyers
- Easier way to pay with PayPal
- Complete payments in 1 or 2 clicks
- Quick and easy mobile purchases on smart phones and tablets
The In-Context Checkout flow
The Express Checkout full-page checkout experience redirects buyers to a PayPal screen where they can log in, review and approve a payment before being redirected back to your website's payment confirmation page. The story board for an Express Checkout In-Context Checkout transaction is as follows:
Web Flow — Displays a PayPal In-Context Checkout window with the merchant website in the background
Mobile Flow — Displays a mobile-optimized full-page checkout window
You can see a demo of Express Checkout on the PayPal Demo.
To determine whether your Express Checkout integration is a good candidate for the In-Context Checkout experience, review the following eligibility requirements and current integration limitations. If In-Context Checkout does not support a feature that you currently use, your buyers are presented with the Express Checkout full-page redirect checkout flow.
In-Context Checkout supports these browsers:
- Internet Explorer version 9 and later
- Chrome version 27 and later
- Firefox version 30 and later
- Safari version 5.1 and later
- Opera version 23 and later
Buyers who use earlier browsers see the full-page checkout experience.
Note: In-Context Checkout does not support interstitial or shim pages.
In-Context Checkout supports:
- The mobile-optimized experience
- AJAX calls
- Mixed HTTP and HTTPS protocols
- Express Checkout API version 62 or later
- Mobile Express Checkout direct integration
- Reference transactions
Additionally, In-Context Checkout supports:
|Currency||Supported currencies are:
|Payment actions||Sale, authorization, and order|
|Closed loop offers||The following merchant accounts only:
|Shopping cart details||Item description, quantity, and unit price|
|Buyer phone number required||The existing account phone number is not displayed to the buyer but is returned to the merchant. If no phone number exists, the buyer is prompted to add one.|
In-Context Checkout does not support:
- Parallel payments or multi-seller payments
- Callback / Instant Update API operations
- Billing agreements that use the deprecated
- Seamless checkout for a Log in with PayPal integration
Additionally, In-Context Checkout does not support:
|Merchant account||In-Context Checkout does not support merchant accounts in:
|Buyer Account||In-Context Checkout does not support buyer accounts in:
|PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later) second button integration||
|Unilateral payments||Based on merchant account field in the
|Digital goods||Based on the
The NVP SetExpressCheckout call ignores these unsupported parameters:
L_BILLINGAGREEMENTDESCRIPTIONn(the recurring transaction flow is still supported)
The SOAP SetExpressCheckout call ignores these unsupported parameters:
BillingAgreementDescription(the recurring transaction flow is still supported)
A merchant profile ignores these unsupported parameters:
- Gift messages, gift receipts, and gift wrap parameters
- Survey setting parameters