Mobile Express Checkout
Mobile Express Checkout allows merchants to simplify checkout for customers using mobile devices, including iPhone®, iPad®, Android devices, Blackberry, and Windows Phone 7. PayPal Mobile Express Checkout optimizes the pages for smaller mobile screens and mobile keyboards. If the merchant has already integrated Express Checkout, they can add Mobile Express Checkout to their website with minimal programming changes.
Applicable Use Cases
How it works
- On their mobile device, customers select an item and choose whether to use their PayPal account or just use PayPal to pay with a debit or credit card.
- Customers can log in to their PayPal account by tapping “Checkout with PayPal” from your shopping cart. Then they review payment and shipping details on a mobile PayPal page and commit to the payment.
- To pay using a debit or credit card, customers click on the “pay with card” link on the PayPal login page and enter their payment and shipping information.
- After they review the order and pay for the purchase, the order confirmation is displayed on the merchant’s mobile site.
Why use Mobile Express Checkout
Implementing Mobile Express Checkout allows merchants and developers to:
- Provide payment pages to customers optimized for faster checkout using mobile devices like the iPad, iPhone, and Android devices.
- Eliminate the need for customers to enter personal details including shipping, billing, or payment information.
- Provide a streamlined checkout experience for mobile browsers.
- Process customers’ payments on PayPal’s secure site.
- Offer guest checkout to customers. Customers can pay using a debit or credit card on the merchant’s mobile website without logging in to PayPal or creating an account.
- Accept recurring payments. These allow customers to give preapproval for future payments and to make subscription-based payments for fixed or variable amounts.
- Add Mobile Express Checkout to current implementations of Express Checkout with minimal effort.
- Automatically return customers to the merchant’s website to complete the order.
Supported devices and browsers
Mobile Express Checkout supports most mobile devices in use today. In case we are not able to support an (older) device, we will fall back on the standard PayPal experience.
How to get started
The following is a brief overview of how to get started using the Button Manager API.
Note: You must have a PayPal business account in order to use the Button Manager APIs.
Verify your API settings:
Log in to your PayPal business account at www.paypal.com.
Click the profile icon () on the top right side of the page. From the Business Profile menu, select Profile and Settings, then select My selling tools.
Note: If you do not see the profile icon on the top right, navigate to My Account > Profile > My Selling Tools.
Under the My business setup section, click the Update link on the right side of the API access row.
Click Add or Edit API Permission or View API Certificate to verify that you have a valid API certificate.
Integrate Mobile Express Checkout into your mobile website or modify your existing Express Checkout implementation according to the Best Practices documentation, which can be downloaded here.
If you already use Express Checkout, adding Mobile Express Checkout requires 4 changes.
Modify your API code Add values specific to the mobile experience, such as ReturnURL and CancelURL. Redirect URL Modify the Redirect URL to let PayPal know you’re implementing a mobile checkout process. Graphics Use the graphics provided by PayPal that are optimized for mobile checkout. See PayPal buttons, logos, and marks. Placement and flow Make any necessary adjustments to the checkout flow process to accommodate the mobile experience.
Test your integration using the PayPal Sandbox. (Registration is free.)
Once you’ve verified that your implementation works correctly in the Sandbox, you’re ready to go live.
For complete details, see Documentation on this page.
There are no set-up costs or monthly fees. Transaction fees are calculated as follows.
Fees are exactly the same as the regular PayPal fees you pay for Express Checkout transactions.
See PayPal Fees for details.
International availability and fees
Mobile Express Checkout is available almost everywhere PayPal is accepted, with certain exceptions due to legal constraints. These are Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Georgia, India, Kosovo, Macedonia, Moldavia, Monaco, Montenegro, Russia, Serbia, Ukraine, and Vatican City State. There are fees for currency conversion and to receive payments from another country. For details, see Transaction Fees for Cross-border Payments.
Check out buy.com, nikestore.com, and overstock.com.
Developer and Merchant Support
- For answers to PayPal frequently asked questions, go to our Help Center.
- For more help, visit our Developer Technical Services.
- To learn about partnership opportunities that will help launch and grow your online business, visit the PayPal Partner Directory.
- To discuss issues and share ideas, visit the PayPal stackoverflow forum.
Development and Integration
- Express Checkout integration guide (HTML)
- Mobile Express Checkout Getting Started Guide (HTML)
- Express Checkout on Mobile Devices (HTML)