Mobile PayPal Payments Standard
PayPal Payments Standard is PayPal's easiest and most popular way to accept credit cards online. Mobile PayPal Payments Standard enables merchants and partners to offer a streamlined checkout experience to customers using mobile devices, including iPhone®, iPad®, iPod® and Android devices. If the merchant has previously integrated PayPal Payments Standard, then the mobile optimized checkout experience is automatically available to their customers without any additional integration steps or effort. For new merchants, they simply integrate with PayPal Payments Standard and get the all the benefits of a mobile optimized checkout solution for customers making purchases on mobile devices.
Applicable Use Cases
How It Works
- Merchants create payment buttons using a simple tool on the PayPal website and place them on their site. Merchants can also create custom buttons manually for more advanced integrations.
- Using a mobile device, customers choose to purchase an item on the merchant site. For example, they tap on a ‘Buy Now’ button on the merchant site or select the ‘Checkout’ option on the cart page.
- Customers are then presented with mobile optimized page with an option to login to PayPal OR pay with a debit or credit card. This option is presented irrespective of whether the merchants’ own website is optimized for mobile devices.
- Customers can then log in to their PayPal account, review payment and shipping details and commit to the payment.
- Customers can alternatively pay using a debit or credit card, enter their payment and shipping information and commit to the payment.
- After completing their payment customers are presented with a confirmation page and are returned to the merchant’s website.
Why Use It?
Implementing Mobile PayPal Payments Standard allows merchants and developers to:
- Leverage the features & simplicity offered by PayPal Payments Standard.
- Provide payment pages to customers optimized for faster checkout using mobile devices like the iPad, iPhone, and Android devices.
- Eliminate the need for customers to enter personal details including shipping, billing, or payment information.
- Provide a streamlined checkout experience for mobile browsers.
- Process customers’ payments on PayPal’s secure site.
- Offer guest checkout to customers. Customers can pay using a debit or credit card on the merchant’s mobile website without logging in to PayPal or creating an account.
- Automatically return customers to the merchant’s website to complete the order.
Supported Devices and Browsers
Mobile PayPal Payments Standard supports most mobile devices in use today. In case we are not able to support an (older) device, we will fall back on the standard PayPal experience.
How to Get Started
- If you are existing customer of PayPal Payments Standard then no additional work is required.
- For new customers, sign-up for PayPal Payments Standard.
- Both new and existing customers should refer to the list of unsupported use cases below. Use cases not currently supported will continue to be processed using a non-mobile checkout experience.
- If you are developing for apps, use Mobile Payment Libraries.
U.S. Fees or Other Fees Associated with the Product
There are no set-up costs or monthly fees. Transaction fees are calculated as follows.
Note: Fees are exactly the same as the regular PayPal fees you pay for PayPal Payments Standard Checkout transactions.
See PayPal Fees for details.
International Availability and Fees
Mobile PayPal Payments Standard is available almost everywhere PayPal is accepted, with certain exceptions due to legal constraints. These are Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Belarus, Brazil, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Georgia, India, Kosovo, Macedonia, Moldavia, Monaco, Montenegro, Russia, Serbia, Ukraine, and Vatican City State. (Note that in some countries, PayPal Payments Standard is known as Website Payments Standard.)
There are fees for currency conversion and to receive payments from another country. For details, see Transaction Fees for Cross-border Payments.
Unsupported Use Cases
Mobile PayPal Payments Standard is in the process of extending support for the merchant customizations listed below. Until then your customers will still be able to make payments via mobile devices but will not be presented with the mobile optimized checkout experience.
For now only merchants integrated with 'Buy Now' buttons or third party shopping carts (using “Cart Upload”) will benefit from Mobile PayPal Payments Standard unless they use a customization listed below.
Merchant Customizations that are currently not supported:
- Instant Update API
- Buyer Supplied Price, Desc, Qty
- Payment Type: Auth, Order
- Inventory Management
Refer to the PayPal Payments Standard Integration Guide if you need additional information on the use cases above.
Note: Merchants that are integrated with the “Donate”, “Add to Cart”, or “Subscribe” buttons will not benefit from the mobile optimized experience at all at this time. Their customers will continue to go through the current payment experience on mobile devices.
Developer and Merchant Support
- For answers to PayPal frequently asked questions, go to our Help Center.
- For more help, visit our Merchant Technical Services.
- To learn about partnership opportunities that will help launch and grow your online business, visit the PayPal Partner Directory.
- To discuss issues and share ideas, visit the PayPal stackoverflow forum.