PayPal Payments Standard
PayPal Payments Standard is PayPal's easiest and most popular way to accept credit cards online. PayPal Payments Standard enables merchants and partners to offer a streamlined checkout experience to customers using mobile devices, including iPhone®, iPad®, iPod® and Android devices.
If the merchant has previously integrated PayPal Payments Standard, the mobile optimized checkout experience is automatically available to their customers without any additional integration steps or effort. For new merchants, they simply integrate with PayPal Payments Standard and get the all the benefits of a mobile optimized checkout solution for customers who make purchases on mobile devices.
How it works
- Merchants create payment buttons by using a simple tool on the PayPal website and place them on their site. Merchants can also create custom buttons manually for more advanced integrations.
- Using a mobile device, customers choose to purchase an item on the merchant site. For example, they tap on a Buy Now button on the merchant site or select the Checkout option on the cart page.
Important: The Buy Now button is deprecated. For new integrations, see the PayPal Checkout Overview.
- Customers are then presented with mobile optimized page with an option to login to PayPal OR pay with a debit or credit card. This option is presented irrespective of whether the merchants’ own website is optimized for mobile devices.
- Customers can then log in to their PayPal account, review payment and shipping details and commit to the payment.
- Customers can alternatively pay using a debit or credit card, enter their payment and shipping information and commit to the payment.
- After completing their payment customers are presented with a confirmation page and are returned to the merchant’s website.
Why use it?
Implementing PayPal Payments Standard enables merchants and developers to:
- Leverage the features & simplicity offered by PayPal Payments Standard.
- Provide payment pages to customers optimized for faster checkout using mobile devices like the iPad, iPhone, and Android devices.
- Eliminate the need for customers to enter personal details including shipping, billing, or payment information.
- Provide a streamlined checkout experience for mobile browsers.
- Process customers’ payments on PayPal’s secure site.
- Offer guest checkout to customers. Customers can pay using a debit or credit card on the merchant’s mobile website without logging in to PayPal or creating an account.
- Automatically return customers to the merchant’s website to complete the order.
Supported devices and browsers
PayPal Payments Standard supports most mobile devices in use today. In case we are not able to support an (older) device, we will fall back on the standard PayPal experience.
How to get started
- If you are existing customer of PayPal Payments Standard then no additional work is required.
- For new customers, sign up for PayPal Payments Standard.
U.S. fees or other fees for the product
There are no setup costs or monthly fees.
Note: Fees are exactly the same as the regular PayPal fees you pay for PayPal Payments Standard Checkout transactions. See PayPal Merchant Fees for information about per-transaction fees.
International availability and fees
Mobile PayPal Payments Standard is available almost everywhere PayPal is accepted, with certain exceptions due to legal constraints. These are Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Belarus, Brazil, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Georgia, India, Kosovo, Macedonia, Moldavia, Monaco, Montenegro, Russia, Serbia, Ukraine, and Vatican City State. (Note that in some countries, PayPal Payments Standard is known as Website Payments Standard.)
You can hold multiple currency balances in your PayPal account or convert a currency balance at competitive rates. International fees are also provided on the PayPal Merchant Fees page.
Unsupported use cases
Mobile PayPal Payments Standard is in the process of extending support for the merchant customizations listed below. Until then, your customers can make payments through mobile devices but are not presented with the mobile optimized checkout experience.
For now only merchants integrated with Buy Now buttons or third-party shopping carts (by using Cart Upload) can benefit from Mobile PayPal Payments Standard unless they use a customization.
Merchant customizations that are not supported:
- Instant Update API
- Buyer Supplied Price, Desc, Qty
- Payment Type: Auth, Order
- Inventory Management
Refer to the PayPal Payments Standard Integration Guide if you need additional information on the previous use cases.
Note: Merchants that are integrated with the Donate, Add to Cart, or Subscribe buttons do not benefit from the mobile optimized experience at all at this time. Their customers continue to go through the current payment experience on mobile devices.
- The Buy Now button is deprecated. For new integrations, see the PayPal Checkout Overview.
- The Donate button is deprecated. For new integrations, see the Create a Donate button
- The Add to Cart button is deprecated. For new integrations, see the Solution Providers.
- The Subscribe button is deprecated. For new integrations, see the Subscriptions Overview.
Developer and merchant support
- For answers to PayPal frequently asked questions, go to our Help Center.
- For more help, visit our Merchant Technical Services.
- To learn about partnership opportunities that will help launch and grow your online business, visit the PayPal Partner Directory.
- To discuss issues and share ideas, visit the PayPal stackoverflow forum.