PayPal's permissions service enables you to request and obtain authorization to make API calls and take action on behalf of your customers. The service is automated and easy to use, walking customers through the permissions being granted and what they mean, minimizing the time required. Permissions are organized in groups that are self descriptive and help lower the barrier to on-board your customers. When the customer finishes the permissions flow, they are redirected back to your site.
Applicable Use Cases
Why Use Permissions Service API
- Get your customers (merchants or consumers) on-boarded quickly and easily
- Customers get simple, non-technical explanation of permissions being granted
- Permissions make it possible for you to perform actions on their behalf
- Integrated workflow simplifies granting authorization and streamlines on-boarding process
Permissions You Can Seek
During the permissions workflow, you can request authorization for the following permission groups.
- Use Express Checkout to process payments
- Authorize and capture your PayPal transactions
- Use Express Checkout to process mobile payments
- Dynamically encrypt PayPal payment buttons on your web site
- Authorize transactions with Universal Air Travel Plans
- Create and manage PayPal payment buttons on your behalf
Credit Card Payments
- Process your customers’ credit or debit card payments
- Initiate transactions to multiple recipients in a single batch
- Obtain authorization for pre-approved payments and initiate pre-approved transactions
- Create and manage recurring payments
- Process a payment based on a prior transaction
- Obtain transaction-specific information
- Search your transactions for items that match specific criteria and display the results
- Obtain your PayPal account balance
- Accept or deny a pending transaction held by fraud management filters
- Refund a transaction on your behalf
- Issue a credit to a debit or credit card
- Consolidate funds made to two or more child accounts into a master account
- Provide reporting for consolidated funds
Resources for Getting Started
Developer and Merchant Support
- For answers to PayPal frequently asked questions, go to our Help Center.
- For more help, visit our Merchant Technical Support.
- To get help with questions, discuss issues and share ideas, go to:
Join the PayPal Partner Program
Join the North America Partner Program and enjoy many valuable benefits, including access to solutions integration information, marketing tools and a listing in our Partner Directory. It's free to join! For details, visit the Partner Program website.
Development and Integration
- Permissions Service Guide (HTML)
- You can choose to download the Permissions Service SDK. See NVP/SOAP API SDKs for information about the SDKs.