Merchant API v109.0 release notes
Merchant API v109.0 includes the following PayPal releases:
|Code release version||Release date||Description|
|110||02/04/2014||No changes to the API.|
|109||10/22/2013||Changes to the API are described below.|
These release notes address the API operations within the PayPal Merchant API WSDL and associated schemas:
The document covers changes to the Merchant APIs, which include:
- Express Checkout
- Direct Payment
- Authorization and Capture
- Recurring Payments
- Mass Pay
- Button Manager
These products use this API:
- PayPal Payments Standard
- Website Payments Pro
A new card verification feature is now available for Website Payments Pro merchants as well as to PayPal Payments Advanced and PayPal Payments Pro (Payflow) merchants. This feature is used to verify that a card holder’s account is in good standing without processing a purchase transaction or applying a card authorization. Website Payments Pro merchants can refer to the feature details below. For PayPal Payments Advanced and PayPal Payments Pro (Payflow) integration details, see the Payflow Gateway Developer Guide Revision History.
This release affects these products:
- Express Checkout
- Website Payments Pro
Express Checkout and Website Payments Pro
For a current list of PayPal product and API issues, as well as upcoming maintenance events, go to PayPal Status.
|Part of schema||Element|
|Type of change||New enumeration value|
|Description||The enumeration value
Available to all US, UK, and Canadian merchants who use Website Payments Pro.
PayPal now supports card verifications also referred to as authorizations without purchase or $0 auths. This feature is used to verify that a card holder’s account is in good standing without processing a purchase transaction or applying a card authorization. It is available for the majority of currencies.
Card holder experience and security
- No authorization or hold is placed on the card holder’s account, so the transaction does not appear on the card holder’s statement. This feature is used for card verification purposes only.
- The card issuer will decline invalid cards or those reported as lost or stolen.
- AVS and CVV results are returned on card verifications where supported by the issuer.
DoDirectPayment(NVP | SOAP) API operation has been changed to accept an authorization in the amount of $0.
- A successful card verification returns
Ack=SuccessWithWarning. The response message also includes the code
10574with the short message
Credit Card Verified, so merchants do not mistake this for a financial transaction. If the card is invalid, a typical error response is returned with
Ack=Failureand an error message.
- Capture, Re-authorizations and void attempts on card verifications are not permitted and returns error code
- Currently, only Mastercard and Visa support this feature. If the card issuer does not support card verifications, error code
- Merchants who offer free trial periods and recurring payments can use this feature to verify the card prior to extending the service. Other merchants who only need to charge the card holder one time after a successful card verification can process a reference transaction using the
DoReferenceTransaction(NVP | SOAP) API operation.
See integration details.
Reporting, order processing, and notification
- On the paypal.com transaction History page, the
Completedstatus is displayed for a successful $0 Authorization transaction.
- Merchants who use the Instant Payment Notification service should also receive notifications for card verifications.
- Similar to other transaction types, the
GetTransactionDetails(NVP | SOAP) and
TransactionSearch(NVP | SOAP) API operations can be used to lookup card verification transaction details.
Note: The card networks discourage the use of $1 authorizations as a method of verifying card status. The rule is that you should only authorize amounts greater than zero on transactions that you intend to capture.
Per transaction fees will apply for card verifications, and there is no percentage or discount rate fee associated with these transactions. For fee information:
- Go to the PayPal Merchant Fees page.
- In the Complete Payment Solutions section, expand View all discounts and fees.
- Scroll to view the per transaction fee for Uncaptured Authorization.
Additional documentation updates
Express Checkout - Additional documentation updates
Merchant API and Express Checkout documentation updates (Feb. 14, 2014)
- The Express Checkout flow that allows merchants to recover from a funding failure is now also available for transactions with a
ORDER. For integration details, see the HowTo guide on recovering from Express Checkout funding failures.
Merchant API and Express Checkout documentation updates (Feb. 06, 2014)
- Removed the Giropay chapter from the Express Checkout reference guide. Giropay is no longer available with Express Checkout.
Merchant API and Express Checkout documentation updates (Jan. 30, 2014)
R110 updates — published prior to the actual release date on Feb. 05
Important Update for merchants who use Recurring Payments for Website Payments Pro. If a recurring transaction is declined with specific
PaymentAdviceCodevalues that indicate the merchant should not attempt to process the card again, PayPal cancels recurring the payment profiles. In the event of a canceled profile, PayPal sends an email notification to the merchant. For information on the
PaymentAdviceCoderesponse field, see the
DoDirectPaymentAPI operation (NVP | SOAP).
Developers or partners using reference transactions to provide recurring payment or subscription support for PayPal Payments Pro merchants (outside of PayPal Recurring Payments) are responsible for stopping the subscription and should not try again with the same card if the Payment Advice codes
10577error code (This transaction cannot be processed. The merchant must not attempt payment on this card again for this buyer) to API error codes.
The Website Payments Pro
DoDirectPayment(NVP | SOAP) API operation now supports addresses in Guatemala (
GT), Laos (
LA), and Papua New Guinea (
PG). See the country codes page for a list of all countries supported by Website Payments Pro and those supported by Express Checkout.
Merchant API and Express Checkout documentation updates (Jan. 22, 2014)
- Added the
SKIPBACREATIONor the SOAP field
SkipBACreation. This field is used for reference transactions during billing agreement creation. Merchants who offer a store account can control whether PayPal must create a billing agreement or if billing agreement creation should be skipped.
Merchant API and Express Checkout documentation updates (Jan. 15, 2014)
- Updated the URL to the PayPal SDKs.
- Added information about integrating with Bill Me Later, China Union Pay, ELV and other funding options in Express Checkout, using the
USERSELECTEDFUNDINGSOURCEor the SOAP field
- Added a PayPal button image reference, which displays the redesigned PayPal buttons.
Merchant API and Express Checkout documentation updates (Jan. 08, 2014)
- Added to the currency codes page information about the Multi-currency feature, supported currencies and any default per transaction amount limits.
Merchant API and Express Checkout documentation updates (Oct. 23, 2013)
- Updated the HowTo guide on recovering from funding failure error Code 10486 in Express Checkout. Clarified the recommended steps for
PaymentAction=Orderif the buyer is not online when the error is received.