Testing Classic API Calls
The PayPal Sandbox is a self-contained, virtual testing environment that mimics the live PayPal production environment. It provides a shielded space where you can initiate and watch your application process the requests you make to the PayPal APIs without touching any live PayPal accounts.
The following sections describe how to test your applications with the Sandbox:
- Sandbox overview
- About Sandbox accounts
- Creating test accounts
- Getting your test credentials
- Making test calls
- Tips and tricks
The testing process
Test your application by creating a Sandbox account for each user entity represented in your PayPal transactions. When testing, use the test accounts in place of all the live accounts you will use while processing live transactions.
- Create a PayPal account and log in to the Developer website at developer.paypal.com.
- Create a set of virtual Sandbox test accounts.
- Format your PayPal API requests using the details from your test accounts and run them against the Sandbox endpoint(s).
- Review the responses and modify your application as necessary.
- When your application is fully functional and free of bugs, go live by updating the API credentials and endpoint targets.
Tips on creating your PayPal developer account
When you create your developer account, PayPal does a verification check by sending an email to the address you specified. Enable your account by responding PayPal’s email. If you don’t receive the verification email within a few minutes after signing up, check to see that it hasn’t been blocked or diverted to a spam folder.
Once your account is enabled, access the Sandbox functionality by logging in to the PayPal Developer website using your developer account credentials.
When creating your PayPal developer account, consider creating an account that you don’t mind sharing with others on your development team. This way, you can share your Sandbox test accounts without compromising the security of your personal PayPal account.
Important: When coding your PayPal application, make sure that it behaves in accordance with the PayPal application policies and guidelines.