Payflow Gateway is PayPal's secure and open payment gateway. Using the Payflow Gateway APIs, merchants can process debit and credit card payments, PayPal, PayPal Credit®, authorizations, captures, and credit voids. PayPal Payments Pro internally utilizes Payflow Gateway and its API, providing the same features. PayPal Payments Pro merchants use PayPal as their credit card processor, while Payflow Gateway merchants can choose to process their online store payments with any major payment processor, bank, or card association. Merchants who want total control over the checkout experience can host their own checkout pages and send transactions to PayPal using the open Playflow Gateway API or choose to have PayPal host the checkout pages and manage security for sales and authorizations.
Payflow Gateway lets merchants:
Focus on their business
- Use almost any merchant account, bank, and processor, including PayPal.
- Integrate using any one of the many well-known shopping cart solutions that have pre-integrated Payflow.
Offer customers many ways to pay
- Accept all major debit and credit cards supported by their processor, including Visa, MasterCard®, American Express, Discover, JCB, and Diners Club. Payflow Gateway also supports L2/L3 purchase cards, prepaid cards, foreign currencies, TeleCheck, and ACH.
- Add Express Checkout and PayPal Credit®.
Customize the checkout experience
- Completely control and customize the checkout process using APIs.
- Merchants can host checkout pages on their website or let PayPal host the checkout on their secure servers.
Get paid quickly
- Get paid daily as soon as PayPal sends payment data to processors.
Simplify PCI compliance
- PayPal processes payments behind the scenes, helping to reduce the merchant's workload for proving PCI compliance.
- Merchants can use PayPal's PCI-compliant hosted templates, or host checkout pages on their own website and let PayPal process payments behind the scenes (requires the Transparent Redirect feature). Both options will help merchants reduce their workload for proving PCI compliance.
Stay informed with reporting
- Choose from various reports, including transaction status and settlement.
- Customize reporting with APIs that integrate into merchants' back-office applications.
- Use post-authorization APIs to send transaction data to your backend solution.
Add levels of fraud protection
- Add Basic or Advanced Fraud Protection Services to help protect against fraud risks. Available for an additional fee.
- Add Buyer Authentication Service to support the Verified By Visa and MasterCard SecureCode programs. Available for an additional fee.
Set up recurring payments
- Add the Recurring Billing Service to automatically debit customers' debit or credit cards. Available for an additional fee.
Payflow refers to a suite of products. The following table explains the main differences between these products:
|Product||PayPal hosted checkout page or template||Merchant's checkout page||Processor||Merchant Bank||Availability|
|PayPal Payments Pro||✓||✓||PayPal||PayPal||US & UK|
|PayPal Payments Advanced||✓||PayPal||PayPal||Legacy *|
|Payflow Link||✓||Any supported processor||Any supported bank||Legacy *|
|Payflow Pro||varies||✓||Any supported processor||Any supported bank||CA, AU, NZ, and US|
* Legacy products remain available for pre-existing users.
Availability and Support
Create a free developer account using the instructions here. Or, sign up for a live Payflow Gateway account today. Click on a country below in which you conduct business:
Payflow Gateway is available in the following countries:
- United States — Fee structure
- Australia — For fee structure, contact us
- Canada — Fee structure
- New Zealand — Fee structure
When you purchase Payflow Gateway, PayPal provides free email support 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. For Payflow Gateway email or phone support, choose your country below:
United States & Canada
Email 888-883-9770 (7:00 AM - 8:00 PM CDT, Monday - Friday)
Australia & New Zealand
Email +612 8288 0198 (9:00 AM - 5:00 PM AEDT, Monday - Friday)
- Payflow Payment Gateway Getting Started Guide
- Create a test account
- PayPal Processor Setup Guide (PDF)
- Payflow Gateway Developer's Guide
- Payflow Gateway Reporting Developer's Guide
- PayPal Express Checkout integration with Payflow — Express Checkout for Payflow (PDF)
- Recurring Billing Service Guide for Payflow Pro
- Payflow Fraud Protection Services User's Guide
- Payflow Buyer Authentication Integration Guide
- Moneris Receipts Specification (PDF)
- Payflow ACH Payment Service Guide (PDF)
- Payflow XMLPay Developer's Guide (PDF)
- PayPal Partner Directory
- Obtain sample code in various programming languages from PayPal Integration Wizard.
- Optionally, download the Payflow Gateway SDK.
The following video tutorials explain how to integrate Payflow with PayPal hosted checkout pages: