Payment Buttons (PayPal Payments Standard)
PayPal Payments Standard makes it easy to accept payments on a website, whether it’s a mobile device, tablet, or PC. Just create the payment button on the PayPal website, then copy and paste a short HTML snippet on your website to add a payment button for a single item or for a shopping cart. You can use these buttons to securely accept credit card, debit card, or PayPal payments.
This section provides a simplified overview of the steps required to create a PayPal Payments Standard button using the button creation tool on the PayPal website:
Log in to the PayPal site (https://www.paypal.com) using your PayPal Business account login credentials.
Note If you don’t have a PayPal Business account, you won’t be able to log in. In this case, make certain that you use the email address for your account when creating the button.
Build your PayPal button:
If you have a PayPal Business account: Use this link when logged in
If you don’t have a PayPal Business Account: Use this link when not logged in
Choose your button type, then customize your button with your product name and price.
Add the button code to your website.
Just copy and paste the HTML snippet, and you’re ready to start selling!
For complete detailed instructions on the steps listed above, see Creating PayPal Payments Standard Buttons.
More information is available as follows:
Demo Portal — Provides a a PayPal payment button demonstration.
PayPal Payments Standard Integration Guide — Provides details on creating any type of PayPal button on your website.
With PayPal Payments Standard, you can search for and view transaction records, retrieve sales reports, and track profits and losses. You can also authorize and capture payments, as well as issue refunds for all or part of a payment.
PayPal Payments Standard has the following main features:
- Inventory management — Get alerts when your inventory runs low. Set this up when you create payment buttons.
- Customizable checkout experience — Customers can sign up for PayPal and return to your website. You can also customize the checkout page.
- Reporting and management — Search and view transactions, get sales reports, and track profit/loss. Authorize and capture payments and issue partial or full refunds.
- Shipping and tax support — Print postage-paid shipping labels, pay for shipping and insurance, track and confirm shipments. Add shipping costs to shopping cart buttons. Calculate and display sales tax.
- Fraud prevention — Encrypt buttons to help protect merchants from fraud. Ship to customer’s confirmed address. In the U.S., take advantage of PayPal Seller Protection.
- Back-end integration — Get real-time purchase confirmation, notice when transactions are made, and automate payment process. Integrate PayPal data with Excel, QuickBooks, or Quicken.
Features for Developers
- Notifications — In addition to the email sent with each payment, you can also receive notifications to a notifications listener on your server. See Payment Data Transfer for more information.
- Button Manager API — If you create or manage a number of PayPal Payments Standard buttons—for example, if you provide a shopping cart for several merchants—you may save time and effort by using the Button Manager API.
You can use PayPal Payments Standard in any country where PayPal is accepted. You can hold multiple currency balances in your PayPal account or convert a currency balance at competitive rates. There are no set-up costs or monthly fees. International fees may vary. For information, see Transaction Fees for Cross-border Payments.
- Creating PayPal Payments Standard Buttons
- Testing PayPal Payments Standard Buttons
- PayPal Payments Standard HTML variable reference
- For a complete list of PayPal hosted buttons and their URLs, see the PayPal Button Reference.
- Set up notifications using Payment Data Transfer.
- ButtonManager API