Enable Pay Later messaging on OpenCart
DocsCurrentLast updated: October 12th 2021, @ 6:58:00 pm
Promote PayPal Pay Later offers using messaging on your OpenCart store.
PayPal offers short-term, interest-free payments and other special financing options that buyers can use to buy now and pay later. You get paid up-front, and there are no additional costs.
Pay Later messaging includes Pay in 3, which UK buyers can use to pay for purchases of £30 to £2,000 in three, interest-free payments.
Know before you begin
- Before you begin, learn more about Pay Later offers.
- Pay Later messaging is enabled for new OpenCart merchants. Existing merchants need to manually enable the messaging.
- UK-based consumers are eligible for Pay Later offers across most of our integrations. As a merchant, you're eligible to promote Pay in 3 if you are a UK-based PayPal merchant with a UK-legal business entity, a UK-facing website, and a one-time payment integration. At this time, promoting Pay Later offers is not available on PayPal vaulted payments or billing agreement integrations.
- Pay later offers also follow the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy, which governs the usage of PayPal and prohibits the use of PayPal and pay later offers for certain types of transactions, such as real money gaming and firearms.
- Please note that while messaging can be displayed on your website to help promote Pay Later offers to your customers, no additional content, wording, marketing, or other material should be created by you to encourage use of this product. PayPal reserves the right to take action in accordance with the User Agreement.
How it works
These are sample checkout pages with Pay Later messaging and button enabled for webpages and mobile devices.
Pay Later messaging on a webpage
Pay Later messaging on a mobile device
Enable PayPal Commerce Platform for OpenCart
PayPal Commerce Platform for OpenCart has two extensions:
- PayPal Commerce Platform - Payment extension to enable Pay Later messaging on the checkout pages
- PayPal Smart Button - Module to enable Pay Later messaging on the product page and cart
The following OpenCart versions Pay Later is supported for the following OpenCart versions:
- 3.x or higher
Install PayPal Commerce Platform (PPCP) for OpenCart
- Download the latest module version from the OpenCart Marketplace.
- Log in to the OpenCart admin panel.
- Select Extensions > Installer.
- Upload the zip file with the payment module under Upload your extensions.
- Go to Extensions > Payments > PayPal Commerce Platform.
- Select the green button with the plus icon to Install.
- Select Edit to set up the payment method.
Set up PPCP payment method
- Log in to the OpenCart admin panel.
- Go to Extension > Payments > PayPal Commerce Platform.
- Select the blue button on the right to edit.
- Set the Environment to Production.
- Select Connect to PayPal and follow the PayPal onboarding process.
- Set Status to Enabled.
- Save the credentials that appear after the account connects to PayPal. These credentials should be kept private.
Activate and customize the Pay Later messaging layout
Pay Later messaging can be activated on the following pages:
- Product pages
Customize the Checkout messaging layout
- In the OpenCart admin panel, go to Extensions > Payments > PayPal Commerce Platform and select Edit.
- Locate the Pay Later Message field and select Enabled.
- Open the Pay Later Message tab to customize the messaging layout.
Customize the Product and Cart pages messaging layout
- In the OpenCart admin panel, to go Extensions > Modules > PayPal Smart Button and select Edit.
- Locate the Pay Later Message field under both page tabs and select Enabled.
- Customize the messaging layout and save.
Learn about OpenCart's PayPal integration