Connect with PayPal (formerly Log In with PayPal) enables a customer to log into your website or app using their PayPal credentials or they can link their PayPal account to your website or app so that basic information can be shared.
You can then use this shared information to facilitate the customer's activities on your website or app. For example, to create new accounts, to prefill customer information in forms, or validate the customer's information.
The following image shows a typical user experience flow with Connect with PayPal:
When you put Connect with PayPal on your website, account creation and other actions are simplified for your customers since they have only one user ID and password to remember, they can have fewer forms to fill out, and they trust PayPal to secure their personal and financial information.
You use the Identity API to enable Connect with PayPal.
Merchant benefits with Connect with PayPal include:
- Millions of active PayPal users - The ability to leverage PayPal's 250 million active members.
- Secure data storage - PayPal stores customer data so you don't have to.
- Open standards - The solution uses OAuth 2.0 and OpenID Connect to securely log in users and manage permissions.
- Streamlined experiences - Customers can skip filling forms at account creation and checkout.
- Responsive design - The user experience is optimized for desktop and mobile browsers.
- Improved results - Easier account creation often leads to reduced cart abandonment and increased conversion rates.
Connect with PayPal improves two key experiences:
Account creation and login
With Connect with PayPal the customer can create an account on your website/app without having to set a password. The customer can also share basic profile information with you that can be prefilled in their account to make their onboarding experience simple and convenient. These improvements lead to higher conversion. Once the account is created, the customer is able to log in to your website or app using their PayPal credentials.
Verification of user info
Connect with PayPal allows the customer to share profile information with you, such as email, address, and their PayPal account verification status. Verification enables you to validate their information to ensure successful experiences within your website or app for activities such as payouts or the calculation of delivery fees and more.
Connect with PayPal streamlines the user experience from login to account linking.
The customer comes to your site and clicks the Connect with PayPal button.
The customer enters their PayPal email and password. If they don't have a PayPal account, they can sign up for one.
The customer agrees to share some basic non-financial account information with your site such as their name, email, and address.
The customer is transitioned to your site. This step reminds the customer that they are being directed away from PayPal to another site that is not covered by PayPal's privacy rules and obligations.
- The customer enters your site and you receive an authorization code from PayPal.
After the customer goes through the initial Connect with PayPal experience, they are able to log into your site by providing their PayPal credentials, but they will not be asked for additional consent.