Last updated: September 8th 2022, @ 6:04:23 pm
PayPal's Virtual Terminal is a web-based application that processes credit and debit cards, replacing swipe machines. Merchants can accept credit or debit card payments by phone, fax, or mail. Virtual Terminal is available to merchants through the PayPal Manager on any computer with an internet connection and a web browser.
How it works
Merchants receive customer orders by phone, fax, or mail with a credit or debit card. Merchants log in to PayPal Manager and open Virtual Terminal. In Virtual Terminal, merchants enter either a single or multiple transactions, including transaction details and billing information. After the merchant submits the payment, PayPal processes the transaction. If the payment is successful, PayPal immediately credits the merchant's PayPal account for the amount paid. Merchants with sufficient volume can enter card data using a card reader.
Why use Virtual Terminal
Implementing Virtual Terminal allows merchants to:
|Capture offline sales||Receive credit and debit card orders by phone, fax, or mail. Authorize payments, capture funds, void transactions, and issue refunds.|
|Save money on hardware and software||No expensive equipment or software to install—just use your computer and your th/td>|
|Ship faster||PayPal automatically creates a packing slip.|
|Receive funds faster||After the transaction is approved, the payment usually shows up in your PayPal account in minutes.|
|Get reports||PayPal Virtual Terminal is pre-integrated into all of PayPal's reporting systems.|
|Screen for fraud||Choose the level of fraud protection suitable for your business. Address verification screening (AVS) and card verification (CVV2).|
|Accept card present payments||If you want to accept credit or debit card payments in person, you can add a secure card reader that plugs into your computer's USB port. Learn more.|
How to get started
If you're already using Website Payments Pro, Virtual Terminal is included.
To add Virtual Terminal:
- Check your account status. Log into PayPal.
In the left menu, click My settings to confirm that your Account Type is either Premier or Business, or upgrade your account.
Click your profile name in the top right corner of your account and then click Account Settings.
- Check your API settings. Log into PayPal and access your profile as described in the preceding step. In the left menu, click My selling tools. In the Selling online section, click Update next to API access, and then click the Request API credentials link to request an API signature or certificate. If you have already established your API signature or certificate, click the View API Signature or View API Certificate link to verify your API access.
- Apply for PayPal Virtual Terminal. Your application is usually reviewed within two business days.
- If you don’t have a functioning website, or based on other criteria, we may ask you to fax additional documentation.
PayPal will send you an email in about 48 hours with your application status.
There is no setup fee, early termination fee, downgrade fee, or minimum transaction volume fee. See the Virtual Terminal pricing information on the PayPal Merchant Fees page for details.
International availability and fees
PayPal Virtual Terminal is also available in Australia, Canada, France, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Spain, and the United Kingdom. Virtual Terminal is not available in U.S. territories.
There are fees for currency conversion and to receive payments from another country. For details, see the cross-border transaction information for Virtual Terminal on the PayPal Merchant Fees page.
Developer and Merchant Support
- For answers to PayPal frequently asked questions, go to our Help Center.
- For more help, visit Customer Service.
- To discuss issues and share ideas, visit the PayPal stackoverflow forum.
Join the PayPal Partner Program
Join the PayPal Partner Program and enjoy many valuable benefits, including access to solutions integration information, marketing tools, and a listing in our Partner Directory. It's free to join! For details, visit the Global PayPal Partner Programs website.