PayPal REST API Release Notes 2017
Each set of release notes describes changes that are applicable to the release:
API updates. New, changed, and deleted resources, request parameters, and response fields.
New features. New dashboards and tools related to the PayPal REST APIs.
Functional updates. Functional updates to operations, including new code list values and validation rule changes.
Announcements. Announcements related to the PayPal REST API.
Doc updates. Documentation updates not mentioned in API updates, new features, functional updates, or announcements.
If a set of release notes omits an update, such as API updates, that release has no API updates.
09 November 2017
- Added information about how to get an access token to the Integration steps topic on the Login with PayPal page.
- Published the OpenAPI-based Billing Agreements API reference.
- Added comprehensive upgrade steps with code samples for REST, Braintree SDK, and NVP to the Upgrade to checkout.js page in the Express Checkout Integration Guide. Also added Understanding the checkout.js script topic, which describes the major components of the
- Published the OpenAPI-based Payments API reference.
- Added a note about the Webhooks retry policy to the Notification messages page.
- Updated the Customer Disputes API with these changes:
02 November 2017
- Added province codes for Indonesia to the PayPal state and province codes.
- Published the OpenAPI-based Payment Experience API reference.
- Corrected the record limit for report files on the Marketplace case reconciliation report page. A report file has a 150,000 record limit.
- Updated the date patterns in the Managed Accounts API reference.
- Fixed the left-hand navigation for the Orders API Integration Guide for Express Checkout and PayPal Express Checkout Integration guide.
- Updated the API References and Guides page so that the API Reference link opens the Payments API reference with a left-hand navigation that enables you to go to any API.
25 October 2017
- Updated the REST direct credit card deprecation note to remove the mention of guest payments or a vaulted card on Billing Agreements API reference and Billing Plans API reference.
- Added information about how to capture an authorization after placing an order to Orders.
- Added an
auth-assertionheader example to and removed references to credit cards, vaulted credit cards, and debit cards from Orders Integration Guide.
- Corrected the permissions for Managed accounts on the Managed account permissions page.
- Updated the Managed Accounts API reference with the following changes:
- Added constraints to the
- Updated the
date_of_birthparameter with information about the supported date-time formats.
- Updated the update merchant account with a table of supported paths for update operations.
- Added constraints to the
20 October 2017
- Updated links to the Merchant Onboarding API to the new Managed Accounts API and Partner Referrals API on the REST API reference page and in the left-hand navigation for the Marketplaces docs. The Merchant Onboarding API was split into these two new APIs.
19 October 2017
Added information about Smart Payment Buttons to the Express Checkout Integration Guide. Added parameters for horizontal and vertical layouts, funding methods, and funding sources to Customize the PayPal button.
Published the OpenAPI-based Managed Accounts API reference.
Published the OpenAPI-based Orders API reference.
Published the OpenAPI-based Partner Referrals API reference.
Published the OpenAPI-based Payment Experience API reference.
Published the OpenAPI-based Referenced Payouts API reference.
Updated the following pages with a note that conveys that PayPal Mobile SDKs are deprecated, only existing integrations are supported, and new integrations should use Braintree Direct or Express Checkout:
Added links to the PayPal Demo to these pages:
Updated the limited availability message on these pages:
billing_agreement_tokencommon object definition from Payments API reference.
Added the HTTP status code to refund payment.
11 October 2017
Updated the the Webhook event names with the
Added the following pages to add PayPal Plus integration for Latin America:
Updated REST Capture order sample to show Auth ID instead of Order ID.
05 October 2017
- Updated the name of the demo to PayPal Demo on Integrate Log In with PayPal, Integrate Log In with PayPal seamless checkout, Add a financing banner ad to your website, email, or eBay store, and PayPal REST API Release Notes 2015.
- Published the OpenAPI-based Customer Disputes API reference. This API was converted from Google Discovery Document (GDD) format to OpenAPI format. OpenAPI was formerly known as Swagger.
- Updated the Billing Plans API reference to reflect changes in the list plans operation.
- Moved the Enable guest credit card payments page to the best practices section of the Express Checkout guide.
- Updated the
statevalues in the create agreement response and the
statusvalues in the list agreement transactions response.
- Updated the error messages sections in each of the API references to link to the correct location in REST Get Started. For example, Error messages now links to HTTP status codes for failed requests.
- New — Added the Orders API Integration Guide for Express Checkout with information about how to use Express Checkout to create an order.
22 September 2017
- Rolled back release of OpenAPI-based Orders API and added note about Express Checkout.
21 September 2017
- Updated the Braintree SDK link to the Get Started page on the Set up a payment page. Also, updated the text in the first paragraph to indicate that Braintree Direct is the recommended solution on the Easy Drop-in Payment Acceptance page.
- Corrected a broken link on PayPal Developer Documentation directory and corrected the link to the directory in the PayPal REST API Release Notes 2017.
- Corrected broken links in the PayPal REST API Release Notes 2013, PayPal REST API Release Notes 2015, PayPal REST API Release Notes 2016, and PayPal REST API Release Notes 2017.
- Removed button code and images from PayPal buttons, logos and marks page. Redirected the page to the new PayPal marks and logos page.
- Added the
212pre-auth error code to the Android SDK - Error Handling Guidelines page and added the iOS SDK - Response Handling page.
- New — Added the Register marketplace page and included a link to this new page from prerequisites in the Managed Onboarding Integration Guide.
- Removed references to PseudoShop from the Orders Integration Guide.
- Added missing report columns and some general report information, such as timing and file name conventions, to the Partner Fee, Payments Reconciliation, and Marketplace Case Reconciliation reports in the Reporting Setup Guide.
- Updated a link to JSv4 button integration in Express Checkout to be a Marketplaces-specific link in the Add PayPal button topic.
- Corrected typos and enhanced unclear topics in the Orders Integration Guide.
- Removed capture from the refund an order operation description on the Connected path and Managed path pages.
- Updated the Orders API reference(/docs/api/orders/) to clarify that this API can be used with Express Checkout flows.
- Removed permissions from the list on the Connected account permissions page.
- Corrected typos and links on the Progressive Onboarding, URL Onboarding, and Connected Onboarding Integration Guide pages.
14 September 2017
- New — Added the
MERCHANT.PARTNER-CONSENT.REVOKEDwebhooks to Webhook event names.
- Updated the disclaimer for the Customer Disputes API reference and overview.
- Changed the
Set account permissionslink text to
Managed account permissionsin the Managed Onboarding Integration Guide.
- Replaced an actual partner payer ID in a code sample with the
your_partner_idvariable in URL Onboarding.
- Updated the
checkout.jsscript version number on the Upgrade to checkout.js V4.0.0 page to
- Removed a duplicate image from and corrected sandbox links in code samples in the Additional checkout experience options topic in the Orders Integration Guide.
- Removed the information about the
GetVerifiedStatus, and get user information operations from the Provide information for a Log In with PayPal app topic because those operations do not apply to that topic.
- The Direct Credit Card REST API has transitioned to restricted status. The PayPal developer documentation, developer dashboard, developer portal, and GitHub have been updated to reflect this.
07 September 2017
- Consolidated all REST API overview topics into the new REST API Get Started.
- Added a glossary of PayPal REST API terms.
- Moved content from an existing page to a separate Get user consent page.
- Redirected the How PayPal uses OAuth 2.0, Make your first call, REST API authentication and headers, REST API errors, and The REST APIs and HATEOAS pages to topics in the new REST API Get Started.
- Updated links on multiple pages to the topics in the new REST API Get Started.
- For clarity, abstracted
billing_agreement_idin the Orders Integration Guide.
- Updated account permissions information in the Connected Onboarding Integration Guide and on the Connected account permissions page.
- Corrected the billing agreement link in the Additional ways to pay topic in the Orders Integration Guide.
- Corrected the endpoint in the Test with negative testing request example to:
31 August 2017
Express Checkout Integration Guide
- Updated text on Set up a payment page and in Choose your integration method table.
- Added Improve the mobile experience with the viewport tag to Review Best Practices page.
viewportmeta tag to example code in Add the script to your client.
- Added these button parameters to Customize the Checkout Button:
Creates a black button with white text.
Creates a button with PayPal branded logo only.
Query added to example code for responsive buttons.
Initiates the Pay Now checkout flow.
Disables the tagline text beneath the button.
PayPal Marketplaces Connected Integration Guide
CUSTOMER.DISPUTE.UPDATEDevent to Webhook event names.
24 August 2017
- Added links to the documentation in the public PayPal Checkout repo on GitHub on the Review Best Practices and Customize the Checkout Flow pages in the Express Checkout Integration Guide.
16 August 2017
- Changed the API Reference link to APIs on PayPal Developer Experience. That link goes to API References and Guides, formerly titled Reference.
- Added the search payment details procedure to PayPal Payments integration steps.
- Updated the value for
partner_idin a request example in the Connected Onboarding Integration Guide to a relevant variable.
- Added the required escape characters before the quotation marks in the
PayPal-Mock-Responserequest header value in the cURL code example on the Negative testing for REST API page.
11 August 2017
- In a hot fix update, replaced the missing left hand navigation sections.
partner_idin the MarketPlaces Connect Onboarding Integration Guide.
- Added missing quotation marks to the cURL sample in Negative Testing for REST.
09 August 2017
- Added information about how to cache tokens to the new Rate limiting guidelines page, which replaces the former NVP/SOAP Rate limiting guidelines page. Also, added the new page to PayPal Application Policies and Guidelines on the PayPal Developer Documentation directory page.
- Made multiple updates to code samples and URLs in PayPal for Marketplaces Connected Integration Guide.
- Added beta Negative Testing for REST in Sandbox.
04 August 2017
- Removed a link to Merchant Technical Support from the second paragraph on Upgrade to checkout.js 4.0.
- Updated the general, invoice resource group, and template resource group introductions in the Invoicing API reference.
27 July 2017
- Updated the payment buttons link on PayPal application policies and guidelines and added that page to the PayPal Developer Documentation directory.
access_tokento the PayPal Here Initiating the PayPal onboarding flow and Token management pages.
- Simplified, added mobile support to, and removed Hermes screen shots from the How Express Checkout works diagram in PayPal Express Checkout Integration. Also, removed Continue and made Pay Now the default experience and updated the surrounding text.
- Updated the set up the order information object .NET sample in the REST SDK Quickstart Guide to correct the intent to
- Updated the execute order code sample to add the missing access token.
- Removed links to Node.js and PHP code samples from process credit card payments in the REST SDK Quickstart Guide.
- Added missing error messages to Billing Agreements API reference errors.
19 July 2017
- Updated the term
capturein the Orders Integration Guide and set up webhooks for Orders API page.
- Corrected the
authorizeon the Express Checkout create a payment page.
13 July 2017
Added the new PayPal for Marketplaces documentation, including a solution overview, on-boarding integration guides, and API integration guides and reference, is now available for select partners.
Added a note about re-using tokens to How PayPal uses OAuth 2.0.
06 July 2017
- Added the
INVOICING.INVOICE.CREATEDevent to Webhook event names.
28 June 2017
- Fixed the currency and address links, updated the capability description for Invoicing, and updated the list of tasks for managing invoices in the Invoicing API reference.
22 June 2017
Updated the Reference, PayPal REST API Country and Currency Support, Country and Region Codes, Currency Codes, Locale Codes, and PayPal State and Province Codes to enhance the country and currency code information, define which countries require postal codes, and add state codes for REST APIs.
15 June 2017
- Corrected method, request parameter, and response field descriptions and updated the code samples in the Billing Agreements, Billing Plans, Invoicing, Payments, Batch Payouts, and Webhooks API references.
09 June 2017
25 May 2017
- Added the correct HTTP status codes to method descriptions in the Payments and Vault API references. Removed the incorrect ID from the create payment example in the Vault overview.
11 May 2017
- Added the new
PAYMENT.ORDER.CREATEDevents to Webhook event names.
- Added the missing
idresponse field to responses, added missing information to the
start_dateparameter and the
initial_fail_amount_actionparameters in the
merchant_preferencesobject, corrected the
end-datequery parameters to
end_datein the list agreement transactions sample request, corrected the values for the
stateresponse field in the Billing Agreements API reference.
- Corrected the descriptions for the
page_sizequery parameters in the Invoicing API reference.
- Removed the
statusfield response fields from the refund sale operation from the Payments API reference.
- Because the information on the Using the Sandbox mode on the PayPal mobile app page was no longer valid, removed this page from the navigation and redirected the page to the Sandbox Testing Guide.
04 May 2017
- Updated the values for the sort query parameters in list payments in the Payments API reference.
- Updated the
funding_instrumentsdefinition in create agreement in the Billing Agreements API reference.
25 April 2017
- Clarified that the
descriptionrequest parameter in the create plan operation has a maximum length of 127 single-byte alphanumeric characters in the Billing Plans API reference.
13 April 2017
- Removed duplicate information from Billing Plans and Agreements.
- Added integration steps to, updated the left-hand-navigation for, and refreshed code samples in Authorize and capture payments, Credit card payments, Payments REST API, Payments API reference, PayPal payments, Refund payments, and Test REST API transactions.
30 March 2017
- Added the new
allow_tipparameter and response field to the invoice create and template create operations in the Invoices API reference.
- Updated the
initial_fail_amount_actionparameter description in Billing Plans API reference.
- To remove the confusion that the term subscription presented, updated the terminology in Billing Plans and Agreements, Billing Agreements API reference, Billing Plans API reference, and REST SDK Quickstart Guide.
- Clarified that when you search for invoices by status, you must specify the
statusvalue as an array, added the
country_codefield to the show template details response, updated the cancel invoice response to
202 (Accepted), and updated the invoice delete response to
204 (No Content)in Invoices API reference.
- Enhanced the
INSTRUMENT_DECLINEDerror message with additional information in the Payments API reference.
- Added error codes to the Webhooks API reference.
23 March 2017
- Enhanced the
related_resourcesarray description in Credit card payments and Payments API reference.
- Removed the redundant explore payment capabilities page in Payments REST API overview.
- To address customer feedback, added left-hand navigation to Button Manager, added links to button topics to Log In with PayPal buttons, and added a link to the sign up process to Log In with PayPal User Experience in the Identity overview.
16 March 2017
- Updated the
charge_modelstype description in Billing Plans API reference.
- Updated the code samples and updated formatting and style to match other REST API integration guides in Credit cards payments and Orders.
- Updated the Payments and Orders resource groups' code samples in Payments API reference.
- Updated the
api.sandbox.paypal.comlinks in many sample responses in REST API reference. The updated URLs more accurately represent actual API responses.
- Enhanced information about access tokens in REST API overviews and references.
- Removed the
statusresponse fields from the show event notification details method, updated the code sample for the resend event notification method, and added the missing sample request to the list available events method in Webhooks API reference.
27 February 2017
- Updated the
information_linkproperties in the Payments API reference so that the links point to the top-level heading for error messages. Previously, the links pointed to non-existent anchors.
- Updated the code samples and combined the Billing Plans and Billing Agreements overviews into a single overview in the Billing Agreements API reference, Billing Plans API reference, and Billing Plans and Agreements overview.
16 February 2017
- The Payouts API synchronous mode, which immediately returns the results of a payout, will soon be deprecated and is no longer available for new integrations but continues to be supported for existing integrations.
- Noted that PayPal recommends that all new integrations use the REST Payments API for Express Checkout integrations. See Express Checkout deprecated documentation.
- Added related resources to Webhook event names.
02 February 2017
- Corrected the
recipient_namefield in the code samples to specify the name as
first-name last-namerather than
last-name, first-namein the Payments API reference.
25 January 2017
- Updated the code samples in Payouts API reference.
- Added integration steps to and updated the code samples in Payouts, Batch payouts, and Single payout.
- Updated the code samples in Vault API reference.
- Added integration steps to and updated the code samples in Vault overview.