To use the PayPal Commerce Platform, you need to work with an account manager. The account manager will work with you to integrate and go live. Until you work with an account manager, calling the PayPal Commerce Platform APIs results in the HTTP status code of
To connect with an account manager, complete the PayPal Partner form. Then, begin the following registration steps.
- Get a PayPal business account.
- Create a sandbox business account.
- Create a PayPal REST app.
- Get an access token.
You must have a PayPal business account to use the PayPal Commerce Platform APIs.
If you have an existing PayPal business account used with other PayPal products, you must create a new business account solely for use with the PayPal Commerce Platform. Your new account must have a zero (0) balance.
Sign up for a PayPal business account at paypal.com and link a bank account to your new business account.
To test your integration, create a sandbox business account.
- Use your business account credentials to log in to the PayPal Developer Dashboard.
- On the SANDBOX tab, navigate to Accounts.
- Click Create Account.
- In Create Sandbox Account, select Business as the account type, select your country, and click Create.
To call the PayPal Commerce Platform APIs, create a PayPal REST app.
Important: If you already have a PayPal REST app, you must create a new one as the client ID associated with the app directs money movement across PayPal solutions and products. Using an existing client ID breaks existing payment agreements set up in other PayPal products.
- Click My Apps & Credentials.
- In the REST API apps section, click Create App.
- In App Name, enter your REST app's name.
- In Sandbox Business Account, select the sandbox business account that you added in the previous section.
- Click Create App.
When you create your PayPal REST app, you receive sandbox and live OAuth 2.0 credentials called client ID and secret. These credentials are used to call PayPal's APIs. To call the PayPal Commerce Platform APIs, you need to share the following with your account manager:
- sandbox client ID
- live client ID
- sandbox business account email
- business account email
You will receive confirmation from PayPal when your app has been registered for use with the PayPal Commerce Platform APIs.
After your app has been registered, you need to get an access token.
Tip: See Get Started for more on REST API and to understand how PayPal uses OAuth 2.0.
To get an access token, pass your OAuth 2.0 credentials through either: