Once you have confirmed that your merchant account is eligible to accept PayPal transactions, you must complete the following steps to add this payment method to your Braintree integration:
- Sign up for a free, verified PayPal Business Account
- Enter your PayPal credentials in the Braintree Control Panel
- Add PayPal as a payment method using our PayPal guide in the developer docs
In order to use PayPal with Braintree, you'll need a PayPal Business Account. You can either sign up for a new account on PayPal's website, or upgrade an existing PayPal Premier account by completing the following steps:
- Go to the Settings page in your PayPal account
- Click Upgrade to a Business account
- Enter your business information and follow the remaining prompts
You must enter your PayPal Business Account credentials in the Braintree Control Panel to enable this payment method in production. You can only link one PayPal account to your Braintree gateway. To complete your PayPal setup:
- Log into the Control Panel
- Click on the gear icon in the top right corner
- Click Processing from the drop-down menu
- Scroll to the Payment Methods section
- Next to PayPal, click the toggle to access the Accept PayPal options page
- Click the Log In with PayPal button
- Enter your PayPal login credentials and click Log In
- Click the Submit button
Once you have successfully linked your PayPal Business Account to your Braintree Control Panel, you may notice that a REST API app has been created in your PayPal Apps Control Panel. This app allows Braintree to interact with the PayPal API on your behalf; without it, you will be unable to process PayPal transactions through your Braintree account. We recommend that you do not delete the REST API app at any time.
To keep your transaction management in a centralized location, we recommend enabling PayPal disputes in your Braintree Control Panel. Learn more in our PayPal disputes support article.
To keep funding as simple as possible, we recommend that you enable Settlement Withdrawal on your account by contacting PayPal. Read more about Settlement Withdrawal, funding, and reconciliation.
An eCheck, or electronic check, is a payment sent directly from your customer's bank account. Braintree does not support these transactions at this time. If your PayPal Business Account allows for eCheck payment attempts, attempted eCheck authorizations may be successful, but the associated transactions will be automatically voided.
To provide a better experience for your customers, we recommend blocking eCheck payments before the authorization. You can do so by adjusting your payment receiving preferences within your PayPal account settings.
To accept PayPal payments in multiple currencies, you must first complete the following steps:
- Confirm that you have a Braintree merchant account for each currency you'd like to accept – contact us if you need assistance
- Set up your PayPal account to allow payments in foreign currencies – learn more in PayPal's developer docs
Once you're set up, you will specify a Braintree merchant account when processing PayPal transactions in order to present different currencies to your customers.
You can adjust your payment receiving preferences to block all payments in foreign currencies. While doing so will allow you to avoid additional fees, it will also prevent you from selling to customers who don't use your account currency.
Many account changes can be made directly in your PayPal console (e.g. your funding bank account), but you may need to call to request certain setup options (e.g. Settlement Withdrawal). For the fastest service via phone, it’s best to log into your PayPal account, click Contact Us, and then click Call us. This will give you a passcode, which you can provide to PayPal to immediately verify your identity when you call. Passcodes expire in 60 minutes.
To send an email instead, log into your PayPal account, click Contact Us, and then click Email us.
Next Page: Processing →