Enable Pay Later messaging on Magento (Braintree)
DocsCurrentLast updated: September 2nd 2021, @ 3:02:53 pm
Promote PayPal Pay Later offers using messaging on your Magento store using Braintree.
PayPal offers short-term, interest-free payments and other special financing options that buyers can use to buy now and pay later. You get paid up-front, and there are no additional costs.
Pay Later messaging includes Pay in 4, which Australian buyers can use to pay for purchases of $30 to $1,500 in four, interest-free payments.
Know before you begin
- Before you begin, learn more about Pay Later offers.
- Pay Later messaging is enabled for new merchants. If you're an existing merchant, enable the messaging.
- You are eligible to promote PayPal Pay in 4 if you are a PayPal merchant with an Australian-facing website and after making a one-time payment integration. Reference Transaction or Recurring Payment integrations are not eligible, as well as certain merchant categories (such as gambling or foreign exchange).
- Please note that while this option provides messaging that can be displayed on your website to help promote this feature to your customers, not additional content, wording, marketing, or other materials should be created by you to encourage use of this product.
Note: Ensure that you are using Magento 2.4.3 or higher.
How it works
These are sample pages that have Pay Later messaging enabled for webpages and mobile devices.
Pay Later messaging on a webpage
Pay Later messaging on a mobile device
Enable the messaging
To enable the Pay Later messaging, complete the following:
Access the settings
- Login to the Magento admin portal.
- Go to Stores > Configuration.
- Go to Sales > Payment Methods.
- Select Configure next to Braintree Payments.
Configure the plugin
- Title: When buyers enter their payment information (credit/debit card), the title is how the payment method listed is featured.
- Environment: To test your plugin and settings, select Sandbox. To go live, select Production.
- Payment Action: Choose between Authorize (authorize payment only, then delayed capture) or Intent Sale (immediate capture).
- Enable Card Payments: Set to Yes to accept credit card payments through Braintree.
- Enable PayPal through Braintree: Set to Yes to accept PayPal payments (including Pay Later) through Braintree.
- Enable PayPal Pay Later through Braintree: Set to Yes to accept Pay Later messaging in Australia.
- Enable Vault for Card Payments: Set to Yes to vault credit card payment methods through Braintree.
- Enable Vault CVV Re-verification: When using a vaulted method, require usage of CVV.
Note: Do you have your Braintree Credentials? Learn how to access your Merchant ID, public key, and private key.
Advanced Braintree settings
If you need to configure a Merchant Account ID, add that to Merchant Account ID.
Configure PayPal buttons
Go to PayPal through Braintree and change the Customise button to Yes. Customisable options include:
- Shape and color
- Location: Mini-cart and cart, checkout, or product page
Pay Later messaging
When Pay Later is set to Yes, messaging is enabled by default. It appears on the product pages, mini-cart and cart, and checkout pages.
Messaging can be toggled on and off. To adjust this, go to PayPal through Braintree > Product Page / Mini-Cart & Cart / Checkout Page > Enable PayPal Pay Later message on product page.
See the Magento documentation to learn about eligibility and technical specifications for Pay Later offers through Braintree Payments.