Customize the Pay Later messaging layout on WooCommerce
DocsCurrentLast updated: May 27th 2021, @ 12:27:50 pm
Promote PayPal Pay Later offers using messaging on your WooCommerce store.
PayPal offers short-term, interest-free payments and other special financing options that buyers can use to buy now and pay later. You get paid up-front, and there are no additional costs.
Pay Later messaging include the following Pay Later offers which are available to US customers only:
- Pay in 4, which eligible US buyers can use to pay for purchases of $30 to $1,500 in four, interest-free payments.
- PayPal Credit, a revolving line of credit that buyers can use to pay over time.
Know before you begin
- Before you begin, learn more about Pay Later offers.
- Pay Later messaging is enabled for new merchants. If you're an existing merchant, enable the messaging.
US-based consumers are eligible for Pay Later offers across most of our integrations. As a merchant, you're eligible to promote Pay Later offers if you are based in the US with a US-facing website and a one-time payment integration. Promoting Pay Later offers is not available if you're using vaulted payments or subscriptions.
How it works
These are sample pages that have Pay Later messaging and button enabled for webpages and mobile devices.
Pay Later messaging and button on a webpage
Pay Later messaging and button on a mobile device
Choose your workflow
There are two modules for WooCommerce that support Pay Later: WooCommerce PayPal Payments and PayPal Checkout. When you enable one of these modules and connect a PayPal account, Pay Later messaging is enabled by default.
Note Ensure that PayPal Payments is at least on version 1.0. (Version 1.1.0 is recommended.) Version 2.1.1 is recommended for PayPal Checkout.
WooCommerce PayPal Payments
Before you can install WooCommerce PayPal Payments, install the following:
- WordPress version 5.3 or higher.
- WooCommerce version 3.9 or higher. Activate WooCommerce after the installation.
- PHP version 7.0 or higher.
Install WooCommerce PayPal Payments
- Log in to your WordPress installation.
- Select Plugins > Add new.
- Search for the WooCommerce PayPal Payments plugin.
- Select Install Now and wait until the plugin is installed successfully.
- You can activate the plugin by selecting Activate now on the success page. If you want to activate it later, select Plugins > Installed Plugins.
Set up WooCommerce PayPal Payments
Complete the following steps to connect the plugin to your PayPal account.
- Log in to your WooCommerce admin panel.
- Select WooCommerce > Settings.
- Select the Payments tab.
- Select Set Up (or Manage if it’s already active) next to PayPal.
- Select the check box next to Enable/Disable.
- Select one of the following:
If you're enabling PayPal Checkout, select Setup or link an existing PayPal account.
If you're enabling PayPal Payments, select Connect to PayPal.
- Follow the prompts to connect your existing PayPal account or create a new account.
- Make sure you have the PayPal Checkout plugin version 1.1.0 or higher. Update the plugin if you have a version older than 1.1.0.
- If you're new to this plugin, download and install PayPal Checkout.
- You can enable billing agreements through the WooCommerce Subscriptions module. When you enable billing agreements, Pay Later messaging won’t display in your store.
Note: If you have a plugin version older than 1.1.0, activate messaging using the PayPal Credit toggle.
Update the plugin
- Log in to the WooCommerce admin panel.
- On the left side of the page, select Plugins.
- Select update now.
Customize the messaging layout
After you set up WooCommerce PayPal Payments or PayPal Checkout, you can customize the messaging layout at the following locations:
- Product pages
- Shopping cart
- In the WooCommerce admin panel, select the Payments tab.
- Select Manage next to your module.
- Scroll down to Advanced Settings.
- Navigate to Credit Messaging on Checkout or Credit Messaging on a Single Product.
- If you're an existing user, select the check box with the words Enable message (WooCommerce PayPal Payments) or Enable PayPal Credit messages (PayPal Checkout). This enables Pay Later messaging, which includes PayPal Credit.
- If you're using PayPal Checkout, select the option Enable PayPal Credit to eligible customers.
- From the dropdown lists, customize the messaging layout by changing the layout, logo, position, and text color.
See the WooCommerce documentation page for PayPal Checkout to learn more about PayPal Checkout on WooCommerce.